Friday 22 March 2013

Angel delight messy play



I have been meaning to make this gorgeous looking lavender sensory salt for weeks now, I even bookmarked the page so I wouldn't forget.  I've not yet got round to it though - never have the right things in the cupboard; I don't even have any salt at the moment, let alone lavender!

So, for now, a packet of Angel Delight looked a promising alternative during our Tesco pit-stop.

I bought two sachets at 52 pence each and sprinkled them both into an old roasting tray (this kind of activity will be so much easier once the cement mixing tray arrives!).

Sonny immediately dipped his finger into the powder and licked it - I think he was impressed.  In between eating, he made a few shapes.


Jasmine did more mark-making, starting with her numbers.


Then she wrote MM, and drew a star, for Matilda Mae.


Next, I found them a spoon and a pastry brush and gave them a glass of milk, to add as they wished.  Sonny took the brush, dipped it into the milk and washed it over the powder.


Jasmine simply poured the rest into the tray and mixed it vigorously with her spoon.


It became grainy and sticky and thick.


Sonny asked for paper to paint the mixture on to.

 
Jasmine made handprints and generally got very messy!
 





They played until their hands were caked in gooey mixture and their tummies were full...

This is definitely an activity that we will come back to, if only to explore the different flavours available!  Adding a few packets to some milk on the cement mixing tray will, I think, be an irresistible invitation to both Jasmine and Sonny.  I can see them wanting to get in the tray and completely cover themselves!

Something to look forward to.



12 comments:

  1. this looks like such fantastic fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it was - and yummy! So many more flavours to try ;)

    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea. I wonder if we could adapt this for M. Not sure I'd leave any angel delight for him to play with (I LOVE angel delight)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, particularly butterscotch, hence why we used strawberry! I think if you bought a tuff spot and tipped him in with a big bowl of angel delight and maybe some hidden toys inside, he would have a blast!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea to let them mix the angel delight themselves! I've done this with Bella and we used it after it was mixed, I think doing it this way is an excellent way to get both her and Luka involved. Thanks for sharing, am going to pin this!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Jasmine really likes to get involved from the ground up, so I suppose it was really her idea for them to mix it themselves. Would definitely do it again this way, I think it adds an extra dimension to their play xx

      Delete
  5. I love this idea!! I used croutons in a farm scene this weekend and once Esther and William found they were edible they stopped playing and just ate and ate and ate!! I would love for them to have a Tuff Spot full of Angel Delight and Dream Topping to just roll around in. Perfect messy play and thank you for thinking of Matilda Mae. She would adore this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would love it - you should definitely do it! Now that we have a Tuff Spot, I'm planning to revisit this activity, on a larger scale :)

      Thank you for commenting. Messy play always makes me think of Tilda and you x

      Delete
  6. What a fab idea for messy play! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea - I think I'd quite like to get in a tray of Angel Delight myself! ;)) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now there's an idea - Angel Delight baths!! :)

    ReplyDelete