Sunday 12 June 2011

Things I Have Learnt From Kids TV

I never used to think that television was a good thing for children.  I decided that it was bad for their eyes, creativity, activity levels, language development and imagination.  I thought that it was lazy parenting to just put the TV on instead of engaging with your children.

Then I discovered Charlie and Lola, which is, frankly, brilliant.

We now watch TV together most days, and have found that there is much to be learnt from the small World of Cbeebies.  We have picked up sign language from Something Special, yoga from Waybuloo and cookery tips from Big Cook Little Cook.

Obviously, there are downsides, namely that we watch together and have quite different tastes.  I like 64 Zoo Lane while Mini prefers Waybaloo.  She likes Mr Bloom's Nursery, which I cannot stand, and I enjoy Grandpa In My Pocket, which never holds her attention.

But do you know what's great?  My daughter watches TV and has not turned into a slob.  She is very active, always bouncing around rather than sitting still, loves trampolining, ballet, football and swimming.  She adores being creative - drawing, painting, dough modelling, cooking, cutting and sticking.  She loves being outside, enjoys gardening, likes to build giant towers out of Megabloks.  She has the vocabulary of a 4 year old, great social skills, and her favourite thing to do is sit down with a book.

All of my fears regarding television viewing have been allayed by my lovely girl and I can't wait to sit down with her later to watch something...I really hope it's Charlie and Lola!

1 comment:

  1. Well,Jen, I think it is all a question of balance. Not allowing them too much time watching television, just selecting a few programmes, and leading by example.

    ReplyDelete